Dear Parents and Guardians,
I have exciting news to share with our community. After much planning and numerous meetings with architects, I can announce today that major renovations and new construction has been finalised for both campuses of our school.
A large two level air-conditioned multi-purpose auditorium is to be built on the site of the existing basketball court. It will be much larger than the present facility and will be used for major events, school assemblies, indoor soccer, basketball, volleyball, badminton and various PE and Drama lessons and concerts.
The auditorium will also have a climbing wall and flexible teaching rooms on the second floor as well as a raised jogging track that will encircle the entire facility. The building has been designed for a variety of purposes and will make a significant improvement to our existing facilities at the secondary campus.
In addition, major improvements are being made to the cafeteria ensuring that space can be used as a food service area, a relaxing place to study and another teaching / learning space. A small office will be constructed in the lobby area of the campus and will be used as an administrative centre.
The major construction and renovation is planned for the primary campus and will involve extensive development of the current building used for the entrance lobby, waiting areas, nursing facility, staffroom and Thai classroom.
New construction will include:
- New Early Years classrooms with open plan teaching and learning areas
- A new lobby / entrance area
- A new parent waiting area including a functional coffee shop available for staff and parent use
- New flexible teaching spaces on the second floor facing the parking area and drive -through
- A new multi-purpose auditorium on the second floor above Early Years classrooms which can be used for assemblies, meetings and indoor sport and drama lessons – This auditorium can accommodate around 80 people
- A permanent cover for the basketball / soccer court will be constructed to allow the use of this facility during the wet season
- A significant amount of greenery is planned for the exterior of the construction together with landscaping
Construction on both campuses is expected to commence in December 2019 and will take in excess of 6 months to complete. The management of the school will be making extensive plans to relocate students as appropriate during construction and to have a health and safety plan for students in place. Noise will be kept to a minimum during school hours.
All of us at RBIS a very excited about these new developments and seek your support during the construction period. Our aim is to ensure that RBIS, a small thriving international school has facilities that promote outstanding learning within an urban environment in the centre of Bangkok.
Planning designs will be displayed on both campuses and Ms Arwenun and I have scheduled a meeting with parents at the Headmaster’s Coffee Connection on Monday 11th November at 8.30am in the Primary Library to share the plans with the school community.
Our appreciation is extended to Ms Arwenun for her leadership and vision for this project.
Dr Bruce Robinson – Headmaster